Child Contact Service

Child Contact Service

Following parental separation, it is important for children’s well-being and development that they remain connected with significant people in their lives.

It is also essential that they be shielded from conflict and abuse.

The Child Contact Service (CCS) can reduce stress by providing a safe and supportive way for children to:

  • Transition between separated parents (supervised changeovers), or
  • Maintain a relationship with the parent they do not live with and with other family members (supervised contact visits).

How to contact us

To contact our Child Contact Services in Fremantle, Gosnells, Mandurah and Midland please call 6164 0620.

Child Contact Service is funded by the Australian Government's Department of Social Services.

Click here to download the CCS Brochure.

Frequently asked questions

What do you offer?

The CCS provides professional and child-focused changeover and supervision services to foster safe and positive interaction between children and their parents, and to strengthen these relationships.

Over time our aim is to help parents develop their own ways of managing contact arrangements that are in the best interests of their children.

We provide:

  • staff who are professionally trained, friendly and child-focused
  • separate assessment interviews
  • secure and comfortable centres with toys and games
  • separate entrances for parents
  • orientation visits for children as required
  • supervised visits in the community
  • in some cases observational reports.



Are you separate from the Family Law system?

Yes. As the CCS is completely independent from the Family Court of WA and the Federal Circuit Court, we are not able to enforce contact orders.

However, we work with parents to help them meet these orders or agreements and to ensure that the interests of children come first.

How does the service start?

Both parents are required to contact the service. To maintain our independence we do not initiate contact with parents.

Due to high demand there is a waiting period for supervised contact.

Individual assessments to discuss concerns and requirements are held when we are able to offer a service.

To allow for more families to use the service, supervised contact generally occurs fortnightly, for a maximum of two hours.

What are your fees?

Relationships Australia provides services subsidised by the Federal Government. As these subsidies do not fully cover costs, it is necessary to charge fees.

These are kept low and charged according to parents’ income. Special arrangements are possible for those in hardship.


Each person pays for their own Intake unless otherwise negotiated or ordered.

$20 (Concession Card)

$30 (Income up to $80,000)

$80 ($80,001-$100,000)

$120 (Income $100,001 and over)

Supervised Changeovers (per exchange)

$10 (Concession)

$15 (Income up to $80,000)

$20 (Income $80,001-$100,000)

$30 (Income $100,001 and over)

Supervised Time (per hour)

$10 (Concession)

$20 (Income up to $80,000)

$30 (Income $80,001-$100,000)

$50 (Income $100,001 and over)

REPORTS: Supervised Changeover

$77 GST inclusive (Concession)

$110 GST inclusive (Income up to $80,000)

$165 GST inclusive (Income $80,001-$100,000)

$220 GST inclusive (Legal-Aid funded, or person's income $100,000 and over)

REPORTS: Supervised Time

$110 GST inclusive (Concession)

$165 GST inclusive (Income up to $80,000)

$220 GST inclusive (Income $80,001-$100,000)

$440 GST inclusive (Legal-Aid funded, or person's income $100,001 and over)

Letters of attendance

$55 GST inclusive (to confirm dates of service use only)

When are you open?

Office hours

Monday to Friday (9am-5pm)


Saturday (9am-5pm) and alternate Sundays (2-5pm). Weekdays can be negotiated.

Supervised time

Saturdays (9am-5pm) and alternate Sundays (2-5pm). We are closed on public holidays and over the Easter and Christmas periods.

Being fair and thorough


In order to make reports fair and helpful, they are written only after a minimum of eight supervised sessions.

Please tell us at the assessment interview if a report will be required. This allows us to begin recording what is observed from the initial contact visit.

Service Agreements

Each parent is required to sign a Service Agreement outlining the requirements for using the Child Contact Service. This includes encouraging children to have a positive relationship with the other parent.

We also require a copy of your current Court Orders or parenting agreement and, if applicable, a copy of any Restraining Orders.

Quick Exit (ESC)