There is no ideal work-life balance; everyone is different and the ‘right ‘ balance may alter over time as families grow older and personal commitments change.
Work-life balance is trying to find a ‘fit’ between the multiple roles in a person’s life. Most of the time things just coast along at home and work, with ups and downs. But everyone has times when work is almost overwhelming, for any number of reasons, or when their personal life is stressful. When the two coincide, it can be a struggle to keep your head above water.
As an individual
- Simplify and slow down
- Drop activities that sap your time and energy
- Relax, a little goes a long way
- Get moving – exercise
- Try not to procrastinate
- Schedule gadget free days
- Let things go
- Learn to say no
- Holidays matter – take them
- Contribute to a healthy work culture– model balance
- Take charge, set priorities, get organised
- Talk with your boss about changes, and if he/she/they aren't open to talking, chat with your HR manager
- Separate work and other life
- Share the load – don’t struggle to juggle
- Stand up to perfectionist ideals and pressures
- Practice good time management
- Rethink your errands – are they necessary?
- Drop the martyrdom
- Remember your kids are watching - what are you teaching them?