For women who have experienced abusive behaviour from their partners, we initially meet one-to-one.
We also offer a 10-week program for women who have experienced abusive behaviour. In a safe and inclusive environment women will have the opportunity to:
- Have their experiences of abuse validated
- Acknowledge the impact of abuse on themselves and children
- Identify how they have stood up for themselves and their when resisting abuse
- Uncover the ways in which they have held on to hope for a better life
- Engage in conversations that expose the beliefs that underpin abuse
- Support each other in efforts to keep themselves and children safe
- Share resources and build on community and social support
For children and young people who have seen or experienced abuse in the home we initially meet one-to-one.
We also offer a 6-week program for children and young people who have experienced abuse in the home. In a safe and nurturing environment participants will have the opportunity to:
- Express their hurts, worries and fears and acknowledge their skills, interests and hopes
- Understand they are not to blame for the abuse
- Discuss actions they take to keep themselves and others safe
- Identify helpful people in the family and community
- Explore how best to express feelings of anger, fear and stress
- Have a supportive and positive social experience in the company of other children and young people
For men who have been hurtful and intimidating towards partners and/or children we initially meet one-to-one.
For men motivated to change their behaviours we offer a 24-week program. In a supportive environment men will be invited to:
- Discuss their use of abusive behaviour and consider the impact of their abusive behaviour on partners and children
- Expose the beliefs and attitudes that support their use of abusive actions
- Explore the importance of safety and respect in their relationships with partners and children, and as the foundation for enduring relationships,
- Accept responsibility for their abusive behaviour, emphasising that using abusive words and actions is a choice
We run these programs in two locations:
1 Ord Street
Lotteries House, 2232C Albany Highway
Relationships Australia WA offers these services free of charge.