Client Information & Confidentiality
Relationships Australia Western Australia Inc. collects personal information to provide services to our clients. We may also use your information to help us manage our organisation, and to improve the quality of our services. We are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). The information you tell your practitioner during your sessions are confidential. All of our practitioners sign an Oath of Confidentiality.
With your consent we may share your personal information with:
- other service providers who have assisted or may assist you;
- government departments, if we help you to get help from them; and
- anyone else, with your consent or where required or authorised by law.
Due to our duty of care we request that you do not record any session and that typed/texted conversations be deleted at the end of each session.
Limits to confidentiality
Our records are confidential and generally not able to be used as evidence in Court. We do not provide reports about our clients except under exceptional circumstances and when arrangements have been made prior to the commencement of any session.
Our duty of care requires us to report information about you that we learn in the course of providing services to you if:
- a practitioner considers that a client is at risk of harm;
- a practitioner considers that a child may be at risk of harm or neglect;
- a client discloses to a practitioner that they have committed, or are likely to commit a serious crime; or
- we are otherwise required by law.
Where your safety or the safety of others is at risk, we may need to act in ways that reduce your confidentiality. That may include having conversations with you or others outside of our service delivery rooms, and possibly in more public places. We may also use our professional judgment to speak to others where we think it is in your best interests.
As part of maintaining a high standard of professional practice and accountability, all practitioners regularly consult with a clinical supervisor and may discuss client information during their consultations.
For more information, you can talk to your practitioner about our approach to confidentiality.
You can contact our Privacy Officer at:
Relationships Australia WA
PO Box 1206
West Leederville WA 6901